Debunking myths on genetics and DNA

Saturday, November 29, 2014

Sunday Snippet: the Mayake Chronicles




From AKAELA (the Mayake Chronicles Book 1), Prologue:
“You ok?” Athel shouts, his voice amplified by the narrow space etched between the walls of rock.
I search for a new crevice, stick my right foot in it and lift myself up.
My bare fingers brush against the gravel. A harsh sun peeks down, the sky a pale blue hazed by the smoke of distant fires. I stretch one hand up and grope for a new handhold. After a while I stop thinking about the void below me and climbing becomes automatic: firm grasp in the hands, right foot in crevice, lift. I no longer pay attention to my split nails or my bleeding fingers. All I want is up, up to the top of the cliff.
The above is my Sunday snippet submission for the Weekend writer Warriors (you can find the Snippet Sunday group on Facebook, too). Make sure you check out all Weekend writer Warriors participants, it's a fun way to find forthcoming books -- all genres welcome, there's something for everyone's tastes.

Still working my new YA project, this is exactly the continuation from last time. Please let me know what you think. Also, what do you think of the word "Chronicles"? Shall I go with it or is it overused in fantasy books?

Thanks for stopping by!

12 comments:

  1. Very descriptive. You feel her desire and determination. Great snippet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the physical details in this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, powerful writing. I really got a sense of her strength but also of the predicament. I definitely want to know what happens next, how her character and strength develops from here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done on describing the scene.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like her determination---and I'm glad she's climbing instead of plummeting! :)

    "Chronicles" makes me assume I'm going to be reading about past history of someone important enough to his or her country/world/people for someone to have compiled and published a series of leather bound books on a shelf in an important library.

    But maybe that's just me?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Intense scene, my fingernails hurt just reading it. Great snippet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel glued to that cliff she's climbing right along with her! Really excellent excerpt, loved all the details...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great description of an intense moment.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic imagery! My fingers hurt just thinking about the split nails and bleeding fingers. I hope she makes it to the top.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm a climber myself...loved feeling that rock beneath my fingers through your writing. It's been far too long in real life, it was nice to revisit through the written word : )

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well-written scene. It's easy to get into your characters' head with the climbing details.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautifully written scene. Great 8!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated. Comments with spam links will be deleted and never published. So, if your intention is to leave a comment just to post a bogus link, please spare your time and mine. To all others: thank you for leaving a comment, I will respond as soon as possible.