Wednesday, July 2, 2014
A writer's journey
This is a monthly event started by the awesome Alex J. Cavanaugh and organized by the Insecure Writer's Support Group. Click here to find out more about the group and sign up for the next event.
It's July. I released my book, CHIMERAS, three months ago. Book 2 in the series, MOSAICS, will be out in September. I've learned and I'm still learning a lot. I generally dislike do/don't lists, but today I thought I'd share some personal considerations on how to give your best on the page.
1) Stay inspired.
2) Think outside the box.
3) Take chances, lots of them.
4) Read a lot, read different genres.
5) Break at least one rule in every book. Better yet. Follow no rules.
6) Words are your best friends: don't rush them. Love them, make them last.
7) Create your own style. You'll know you've done it right when they'll tell you they didn't like it.
8) Write characters, not stereotypes. Some will love them and some will hate them: it means they feel real.
And finally, have one beta reader shred your work to pieces. Trust me, it'll be painful and totally worth it.
Until next month, write, read and stay inspired.